What to bring to your visa appointment

In order to successfully apply for a Student Visa you need to obtain 40 points under Tier 4 of the Points Based System of UK migration. 30 of the 40 points required are awarded for submitting the relevant documents along with your unique CAS number.

Completed Tier 4 (G) application form

Two passport photographs with your name on the back

Current Passport/Visa

  • Old passports and visas are required if used previously to travel into the UK.
  • The Tier 4 application requires for you to input the first visa number you used to travel into the UK.

Police registration certificate if you are required to register with the police

  • International students whose Tier 4 visas contain a information telling them to register with the police should do so within 7 days of arriving in the UK.

Examination results, transcript or letter of progress from language school or previous education institution

  • If you have been offered a place because of progress made on an existing course, Roehampton will include this information on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will not need to send any certificates if this is how you have been assessed.

Confirmation of acceptance (CAS)

You can request this document from the University's Information Centre, in Richardson Building, Digby Stuart College.(Please request your copy of CAS number as soon as possible). 

Proof of funds


Bank statements

  • Preferably the bank statement/s will be in your own name showing you have access to required funds
  • You can use money held in an account owned by your parent(s) or legal guardian. You will need to show evidence that you are related to them, and that you have their permission to use this money.
  • If your money is in overseas currency, you will need to write the closing balance in pounds sterling on your application form. UKBA use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website when assessing your documents, UKBA will use the exchange rate on the date of the closing balance of your account to check the value of the money in pounds sterling
  • Bank statements need to be signed and stamped if requested in bank
  • You must have held the required money for a 28 day period never falling below the required amount
  • The statement(s) must be no more than a month old before sending your application.


Bank letter

  • Preferably the bank letter will be in your name showing you have access to required funds
  • Signed and stamped if requested in bank


Official letter from loans company or sponsor  

  • If your financial sponsor is only covering some of your course fees or living costs, you must show that you have the rest of the money needed
  • Financial sponsorship is money given to you to cover some or all of your course fees or living costs. You can receive financial sponsorship from the UK government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or independent school.
  • Signed and stamped.

Letter from parents/guardians with their bank statement

If your parents/guardians are paying fees etc. You must also provide a:

  • birth certificate OR
  • or certificate of adoption OR
  • or court document naming legal guardians.
  • If any of these documents are not in English or Welsh, official translations must be provided.
  • These must be original documents not printed copies from the internet emails or photocopies.
  • Correct funds must have been in account for 28 days before application is sent.


Payment of the fee (currently £394) using the following:

  • Postal orders (guaranteed money order purchased from the Post Office)
  • Payable to: ‘Home Office’ (write your name and DOB on back of each)
  • Postal orders can be purchased from the Post Office. The Post Office charge a commission fee for this service.

To book an appointment

The University’s International Student Immigration Officer can provide an informal review of your application and supporting paperwork. To make an appointment to use this service, email:


This information should not be viewed as legal representation. The guidance offered is to be viewed strictly as guidance and not as legal advice.


In this section

© Copyright 2015. Roehampton University. All rights reserved.